About 8 weeks passed since the initial re-release of VLC for iOS based upon its entirely re-written code base. Its success outperformed our expectations with more than 2.5 million downloads during the first week. Wow!
For the first major update, we listed carefully to the feedback received on the App Stores and through others channels.
It adds the following features and improvements:
- Improved overall stability
- Newly implemented menu and application flow
- Added support for subtitles in non-western languages
- Improved Subtitles support with options to choose font, size, and color
- Add basic UPNP discovery and streaming for HTTP servers
- Add FTP server discovery, streaming and downloading
- Add Bonjour announcements for the WiFi Uploader’s website
- Add playback of audio-only media
- Improved VoiceOver and accessibility support
- Added Deinterlace option (off by default)
- Device no longer goes to sleep during media downloads
- Improved video output on external screens
- Improved Passcode Lock behavior
- Minor usability improvements
- New translations to Bosnian, Catalan, Galician, Greek, Marathi, Portuguese,
Additionally, we took the time finish a complete walkthrough of the app to discover what’s actually included and to answer most questions.
At present, the update is being processed by Apple for the App Stores and will be available in your local store within a few hours from now.
We are looking forward to your feedback and to our scheduled forthcoming releases, which will add WebDAV support, multi-touch gestures and so much more!